Monday, December 22, 2008

Where to begin?

Again....it has been a long time since a post. -sigh- Maybe at some point I will get my life back together enough to be a faithful blogger. Since I haven't been, however, I have no idea where to begin. C's big belt test? The last day of school before Christmas break? K and DH's daddy-daughter date? An awesome Christmas present from a dear friend? I could go on and on. We are always busy, I just haven't been great at documenting it all!
.
But, since this is the season of giving, I think I will begin with the most important gift of all...our Savior, Jesus Christ. Last night we had a wonderful Family Home Evening. We began with imagining that we were having a huge birthday party and all of our friends came carrying gifts, but at opening presents time, they all turned and gave them to each other and we didn't get any. We compared this a little to Christmas and how we celebrate Christ's birth, but sometimes we get too caught up in the gifts to each other, not to the Savior. We read Matthew 25: 35-40 and talked of how the gifts of service that we do to each other are gifts to the Savior. Then, we read 2 Nephi 2:6-8 (in the Book of Mormon) and talked of how we NEED the Savior to return back to Heavenly Father. There is no other way, but what He asks of us is a broken heart and a contrite spirit. These are other gifts we can give the Savior. Then, DH turned on some instrumental Christmas music and we wrote "Birthday Cards" to the Savior, including an individual "gift" that we were going to give Him this Christmas. We sealed the cards, tied them with ribbon and stuck them prominently on our tree. I hope that they remind us, as a family, what we need to remember this season: the greatest gift of all: Our Savior, Jesus Christ.

4 comments:

Jay said...

I love your FHE. I'm going to remember that so I can copy it. I'm so glad you wrote about it.

Suzanne said...

What a wonderful idea to teach kids about the true meaning of Christmas! Have a wonderful Christmas, Good life! :)

Alison said...

Great idea! Every year we have to keep reminding our children, and ourself, the real meaning of Christmas.

KP said...

Wow, inspirational idea, I am still working on having FHE at all, not sure what to do, how to do it with just two of us, etc., etc, etc