Thursday, August 2, 2007

Happy Birthday, Grandma!




My dear, dear grandma turns 92 today! Happy Birthday to her.




She is such a wonderful woman. She is so funny. She often jokes about death...it can't come soon enough for her as she misses my grandpa, who died when I was 11, and she is frustrated about her body slowly deteriorating. It should be depressing when she jokes like this...but it isn't. She is just funny.




She is also a worrier. If we ever have tornadoes, floods, ice storms or anything similar within 200 miles of us I have to make sure I call her so that she knows I am okay since she will watch the evening news and worry and worry and worry.




She is so loving. She cares so much for me and for all her kids, grandkids, great-grandkids, and great-great-grandkids. She does have her favorites, though, and I am lucky enough to have a very close relationship with her, as does my sister. It is very obvious when you go to her apartment. She has pictures and pictures and pictures of our families and just one or two of the others! :)




I got to live with her my freshman year at BYU. It is an experience I cherish. I wasn't so sure about it at first...remember she is a worrier...so even if I caught a bus 15 minutes later than usual...she worried. It was probably not the best socially, but I learned so much about her and our family. It was nice for her to have a companion and we took great care of each other. And...I had plenty of time to be social when I moved to an apartment my sophomore year.




I was so grateful to spend time with her this summer as every year I don't know if it will be the last time that I see her on this earth. Happy Birthday Grandma!

4 comments:

Lana said...

Happy Birthday Grandma!!

utmommy said...

She sounds like a special grandma.

Happy Birthday!

zeebee said...

R--that is a great picture of you and your grandma!

dieMutti said...

Happy Birthday Grandma! Just an FYI - we didn't get to see her on her birthday, but we visited yesterday and the first thing she did was pull out the picture you sent her! Now we know who the REAL favorite is! :) She looks good, though, I meant to take a pic but forgot the camera :( It's great that our kids can get to know their Great-Grandma and that she's so cool!