Monday, September 3, 2007

Another Holiday. Another State Park.




Remember a few weeks ago when we bought our State Park Pass? Well, we put it to good use again today. I really love that thing. We headed out to a nearby park that had real dinosaur footprints in the river bed, lots of gorgeous hiking, swimming in the river, etc.


We got up just before six, got ready, and headed to Arby's for breakfast. It was kind of a spur of the moment decision and actually was pretty good. We also had to stop at WalMart to see if, by chance, they carry those toddler backpacks. We gave our last one away after C and last trip we borrowed one...but I forgot until about midnight...and thought it might be too late to call anyone. I really need to buy one. Of course they didn't have one, but I am now going to buy one and have it ready at all times. With our pass, I think I will have a backpack full of water, snacks, sunscreen, diapers, etc., and just have it ready at all times so that when the urge strikes, we can basically grab the backpack and go.


We were the first ones at the park this morning, so we got to determine what we most wanted to do. We ended up hiking for 3-4 miles we are guessing. It was a great hike: some challenges, but not too difficult. We had to cross the river twice and the second time we had to get really wet, so we just stopped and swam in the river for awhile. It was really fun.


We stopped for ice cream on the way home. We also got caught in a flash flood storm that was really bad. We had zero visibility. It was scary. I am glad we got home safe.


We have such a great time as a family and for that I am grateful. We love to hike and camp together and our kids have great memories of our trips. We are also now thoroughly exhausted! :)

6 comments:

Lei said...

Oh that sounds fabulous. You are lucky to live in the beautiful outdoors!

Joyismygoal said...

Fun day!!! I love the backpack idea it is like your '8hr of fun kit':>

zeebee said...

I can't believe how fast you posted this! You are an amazement to the blogging community.
What a fun day...we did nothing.

nikko said...

Sounds wonderful. We need a backpack, too. I've borrowed L's before, and I've looked periodically at consignment shops and thrift stores (because they're like $100!) but haven't found a good one.

If I didn't feel so pregnant and huge, I would have liked to go hiking yesterday, too!

Glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

How great to have all those state park available to you for great family fun!
Everyone looks like they are just having a wonderful time!

Lana said...

how fun! Your kids will always remember the fun times they had outdoors with you. What a great mom!!