Thursday, June 24, 2010

24.5 in 34 for 1400

Update:

My grandma did not die Saturday night like the doctors assured would happen. So, the boys and I left early Monday morning (K stayed with some dear friends to do College for Kids) to try to make it to Idaho. We drove 14 hours and slept overnight in Denver with my parents. Tuesday, we drove another 10.5 and made it to Pocatello. A friend of CK's put us up for the night, including watching my boys so I could go to the hospital.

It was worth it....24.5 hours of driving in a 34-hour time period for a total of 1400 miles.

It was worth it. I got to spend nearly 2.5 hours with my grandma. She knew who I was. She was responsive and able to communicate a little. She hugged me. She told me (even though it was difficult) that she loved me. I got to give her extra hugs and love from my mom and my sister. I left planning to go back early the next morning. I think she somehow knew I was driving from Texas and waited for me. Just over an hour later, I got a call to get to the hospital as she was agitated and struggling with breathing. I got there in about 10 minutes. I stepped off the elevator and the nurses immediately informed me that she passed away about 30 seconds before, probably while I was on the elevator.

I am okay. She looked so peaceful as I went in to her after she had died. She has been ready to go for years and now she is free of her 94-year-old mortal body. I am grateful I got to say good-bye. I am so glad I drove all those hours and I truly feel like I wasn't alone. There were angels helping me stay awake and pushing me to drive further. It is an experience I will cherish.

I love you, Grandma.

Now, I have added over 300 more miles on the car, visited some of CK's family, toured the Idaho Falls Temple visitors' center, visited the falls with my boys, and also paid respects at the gravestones of my father's parents and sisters. Being there on Wednesday meant more to me after being with my grandma on Tuesday. Just another reminder that life is too short to worry, be depressed, or focus on the negative of life.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

So glad you were able to visit with your grandma. So true that life is so short. Take care.

shana said...

Sorry to hear about your loss, but so glad that you got to make it out there. What a neat experience for you and for your grandma!

Natalie said...

It is so great that you got to see you grandma and to hug her and say good-by.
How wonderful that we know you will see her and be with her again.
I am sorry for you loss. It is always hard. I pray for you and that the Lord will bless you.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

Ruth I am so glad that you got to see her one last time and spend those precious moments w/her

Kathy said...

what a special experience you will always remember!