Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Food Storage----What works for ME!

I have been storing food for years. But, in the last couple of weeks I had a wonderful idea that really works for me and my space I have to store. Today, I carried out the final step of my plan and I love it! It is perfect for me. I guess I realized that I have to store food as it works for me...not everyone else.

I have a long hall closet and that is about the only place to store food. I do have staples like beans, wheat, rice, etc. I also have amassed a collection of cans of soup, chili, tomatoes, peanut butter, rice, etc...., but it, to me, is all just a chaotic mess. Without having a room or location that I can easily view what I have and rotate it, it just wasn't working for me. I probably have 1-2 months worth of food, but it would be rather interesting to see how it could get thrown together.




So, I sat down, created a "Week 1" menu and shopping list. Then I went to the store, purchased all the items and a big, cheap tote. I placed all of week 1's items in the tote. Before storing the tote, I took note of all the expiration dates so that I could be sure to rotate items in a timely manner.


I am so excited. This works so well for me. The whole week is there, in the tote, and planned out. When I need to use this week, it will not be haphazard meals thrown together. My goal is to have 16 weeks of food this way (just over three months). Because I am not rotating in the traditional sense, these totes can be stored in the back of the closet, hidden away, until time to rotate and/or use! After the 16 weeks, I will continue to add to the staples part of the long-term storage.
An unexpected benefit is that I realized if I ever felt prompted to share in my abundance with those less fortunate, how easy to thrown in a tote and some recipes in my car and give a week of food away.

I am so excited. I just sit and look at my tote in awe. It works so well for our family that I am surprised I didn't think of it sooner! :)

Addendum: I just went out to my garden and picked our first zucchini of the year! :) We've already been enjoying onions, radishes, and cilantro, but...it just seems more like a harvest to pick a zucchini. We also have 5-6 pink tomatoes and a ton of blackberries! :)


Since I'd already posted about food storage, it left me in awe of the wisdom of God. He tells us to store food and He tells us to grow a garden. What a perfect combination. If we had to, we could live with our stored food and supplement with fresh fruits and veggies for a much healthier and more palatable combination! How wise! :)

14 comments:

Joanne Brown said...

It's so true that you have to find what works for you. I really need to sit down and figure it out for my family. My problem is storage space. My home is less than 1000 square feet so space is a premium. I'll just have to be inventive. I really like the system you have devised. Maybe that will work for us. It seems more managable, mentally too. If you know what I mean! I'm not trying to deal with the huge numbers that a year's storage would entail. Thanks for this post - it's given me inspiration and motivation :) joanne x

Jan said...

This is total inspiration. Thanks for the awesome ideas and thoughts. I am so glad when people are doing these types of things.

Heather said...

That is a great idea.... you could even store those under a bed or some other random place if you don't have storage space (like me). Although I would need a chart to remind me where my weeks are stashed. :)

My Time to Blossom said...

I love your passion, your gratitude and your great ideas. I'll pass on the link.
Thanks!

I have a good life said...

If you look closely at the first picture, inside the box you will see that it tells me the location! :) I plan on having weeks throughout the house and I will have to have a chart to find out where they all are! :)

nikko said...

You are so smart. No wonder you are my friend. ;o)

Misty said...

We added a lot on the beginning of the year, when I realized the church leaders counseled to store a 3 month supply of "regular use" items.

We also do a lot of super pales, and add on as we can afford to. I think we have about 25 now.... filled with grains, flour, sugar, rice, etc.

The latest was more oil and more water storage.

Chellie said...

Very cool! Way to go! Doesn't it feel good to get organized and have things all under control to our own liking? You did awesome!

mmmmmm... zucchini... that's a favorite here at our house!

Anne said...

What an awesome idea! You are so creative! I'm glad you found something that works. Way to be inspiring too :)

Kathy said...

Ok that is really a great way to do food storage. So since you are building up to 16 weeks, you will have 16 totes around the house? Also I think my biggest challenge is how do you have a weeks worth of food in one tote and what recipes do you use?

dieMutti said...

This is awesome! I think I need to do copy this idea because I think it would make rotation easier - like I take out a bag of rice and hello - I just put back in a bag of rice! You'll have to post or tell me the recipes you're using!

Hillary said...

Wow! I don't know you but I've been feeling the need to get serious about my food storage. Yesterday I too started organizing mine by the meal- I love your idea of a whole week. I wonder.... would you be open to posting or e-mailing me your lists of what you're having each week? Right now I'm kind of in a rut trying to come up with ideas. win98009@hotmial.com. Thanks for the great idea!

marcia@joyismygoal said...

GOOD JOB!!!

The 7B's said...

I love it! I think you should share your lists so that we can all put it to good use and modify it according to our needs. You are so creative. I'm so glad we are related.