Wednesday, January 27, 2010

This Was Not In My Plans

Famous last words.

Actually, I have said those words over and over throughout the last three weeks. I just have to say that I feel so blessed. Within days of the divorce being final, a friend introduced me to "the perfect guy for me" in Georgia. Whatever. I would talk to him a little, I guess.

Little did I know what was coming. I planned to date a lot for at least 2-3 years. Could I ever really trust a man again? Would anyone that fits my high bar and share my same goals really be single? Not a chance. I was destined to be single forever, at least for a long time.

Again, famous last words. I do not know what the future holds for us, but I do know that for now I do not want to let this guy go. Honestly, if I had faxed up to Heavenly Father a list of qualities I wanted in a man, He doubled it when he sent M to me. I just feel so blessed and so taken care of by a loving Heavenly Father. No matter what else happens, I now know that good guys do still exist, that my standards aren't too high, and that Heavenly Father knows me. The rest of the future is all on faith.

It is a little difficult for me to let go of my "plans." It is difficult to think about how "fast" we have connected or the fact that we have a many-state distance barrier and kids in both places, but the future will tell how it all works out. What is crazy is that while we talk 2-4 hours a day on the phone, we haven't even met in person. 16 days for that! :) I can't wait.

I am so blessed and lucky and it was time to share....everyone has been with me for those tears full of heartache. Life is never perfect, but I am happy now by myself and also including M in a way that I never thought possible. :)

PS...if you are not a Facebooker, you don't know this yet: I really want that phrase on my tombstone when I die ('This was not in my plans')...it is so me (the planner) and it also just cracks me up to think of people walking by my grave and reading, "This was not in my plans." I am serious...if you are around when I die that is what I want on my tombstone! :)

9 comments:

victoria said...

Oh my gosh! That is so exciting!! 2-4 hours a day? I personally think that men that start with M are the best kind of men. Have fun counting down the days! I definitely want to hear how this turns out.

Lisette said...

If there is anything I know is that Heavenly Father always takes care of us and that after the trials come the blessings! You are reinforcing that even more. I wouldn't be surprised if you were counting the hours? You planner you!

nikko said...

I am beyond happy for you! Can't wait to meet him!

ACK said...

I am glad for you on one hand. But on the other hand i am praying that it works out for you and you dont get burned. What i mean is I hope this works out and you dont get burned like the EX Situation :)

Anonymous said...

I am M. And I think Ruth is one in a million. I can't wait to meet her.

Andrea said...

I love your tombstone "plan". I'm the same way.
Can't wait for you to meet M. There are still great guys out there! I'm so excited for you.

Humphrey Family said...

Ruth - Cliff and I met on the internet and had a phone friendship for about a year and a half before we ever physically met. I can honestly say that we became best friends before we ever saw each other and that is the reason we have been able to make it through some of the really tough times...I wouldn't change it for the world.

Good luck, you are an amazing woman and truly deserve only the best that life has to offer.

Colleen said...

You and I must share a brain, Ruth, because your thought processes are so like mine. I was 22 when my 4 year marriage ended. I didn't have kids, but I thought I'd never meet a guy and fall in love again. I thought it was over for me. I was destined to be single. I made a list of qualities I wanted in a man. Angry at the world, I vowed not to get serious with anyone unless he had EVERY SINGLE quality. Final contact with the ex was in October 2002. I met Ben at the end of December 2002. I knew I would marry him by V-Day 2003. We were engaged in June 2003 and married in the OKC temple in March 2004. Happily married now for almost 6 years. Not a huge record, but to me it proves you can meet and fall in love with "the one" shortly after major heartache! Good luck! It'll work out if it is supposed to. Trite, I know, but true...

The Texas Bakers said...

Hooray!!! You deserve so much happiness and it's even better if you don't have to wait too long for it to find you! :)