Friday, June 8, 2007

Houston: May 25-May 28










We got to go to Houston and we sure needed a break from our daily life and stress. It was nice to get away. We stayed with DH's cousin. She is the best hostess ever. She doesn't have kids and loves to spoil mine. She had the kids' bed all made up with brand-new pillows with new pillowcases, and lanterns. In the bathroom, she had toothbrushes and toothpaste and kids' body wash. K and C were THRILLED! They thought that was the coolest thing ever. They kept asking her if they could really keep all the stuff. Of course, she said "yes." I love this cousin so much and we have the same name...so I guess we are kindred spirits.


The next morning we met DH's Aunt and his Uncle, wife, and daughter at the zoo. It was really cool. LD was grumpy-he was so tired. Finally he fell asleep and stayed asleep. We were there 45ish minutes when it began to dump rain and rain and rain. We were drenched. We stayed under a shelter until it eased a little then exited. We had planned to have a picnic, but, of course, that did not happen. The kids had a lot of fun dancing in the rain with their umbrellas that they'd wisely brought with us.
We went and ate the yummiest food ever...Guatemalan food! It was so yummy! When we got home, we jumped in the hot tub then waited to watch the Jazz game....which was an awesome win!
The next morning, we went to a Spanish ward with his aunt. I love her ward. We have been there before. The kids were a little scared, but were troupers and went even though they really don't speak Spanish (something we are really trying to work with them on!). Their ward has a really special spirit to it and all the members are really welcoming. It is also always nice to practice my Spanish. I love that I could hear the primary singing the same songs that we sing, only in Spanish. I loved that the testimonies were born of the same principles and that the Sunday School lesson was the same as I would have gotten in my ward at home. It always helps me to remember how true the church is.
After church, we drove by the Houston temple and then over to his Uncle's for dinner. Again, the yummiest food EVER! His wife made carne asada, frijoles negros, guacamole, chimole...it was so yummy! So yummy! I can't say it enough!
The next morning we had to leave relatively early...but not before another stop at the yummy guatemalan restaurant. It was even better for breakfast! YUM!
It poured all the way home, sometimes raining so hard that it was difficult to see. We were very blessed to make it safely. I'm glad we have our van, which is easier for other cars to see and heavier, as well. I would've been much more scared in our little Corolla!
So, that was our fun little mini-vacation to Houston. Unfortunately, as we were driving back, we could feel the stresses get heavier and heavier the closer we got to home!

4 comments:

nikko said...

How fun to see pictures of your weekend. Glad you had fun.

Joyismygoal said...

Wow glad you got away sory the stress met you on the way home you guys deserve a break i am sorta open this week may I help you Itake the kids for acoupleof hours inthe day any day but wednesdayand the nextweek I will have m nieces 7 and 4 and will be looking for kids for playmates:)

Lana said...

DH fell asleep?

Sounds like such a fun weekend, I'm glad you guys got away!

I have a good life said...

Thanks TXMommy! I saw that right after I posted it...but forgot to go back and change it! LD was the grumpy one...and the sleepy one, not DH. (Even if he was...I'd NEVER say it! Hee Hee)