Wednesday, April 29, 2009

TAKS tradition, garden, and strength

It is a tradition that every time my girls (next year, C will too) take the big standardized testing tests (TAKS), I take them to Sonic after school for snack. They look forward to it so much. We have so much fun. For $10-ish dollars, what a great tradition!


Last night, we also worked on FINALLY getting in our garden. We didn't get it finished, but we worked hard and had a great time together doing it.


One thing that is so cool this year is that the kids asked if they can have their own garden plots (look carefully and you can see the red bricks delineating the gardens). They each got to choose three plants to plant in their garden. One had to be a fruit or vegetable. The amazing thing was that they worked and helped get all the dirt ready and the weeds pulled. Then, when we put the bricks down to delineate their spots, they all of a sudden were furiously pulling out weeds and working so hard to get their area ready. I hope they keep up the enthusiasm, at least some of it.

We also have various fruits that we have planted throughout the years in our backyard. Here are some grapes growing...yum yum:


Finally, I need to mention that I am doing okay....just taking it one day at a time. What has been so neat throughout all this has been my relationship with my scriptures. I have pretty much always read them. I have frequently studied them. Now, however, I love them and treasure them like never before. I have noticed a direct and undeniable correlation. When I am overwhelmed by sadness, if I turn to my scriptures or do something for my calling, I am okay. Amazing how the Lord blesses me! :) How grateful I am.

9 comments:

nikko said...

We worked in our garden this afternoon, too. Our grapes are growing like crazy!

Suzanne said...

The garden look great! We're working on getting ours in too. I'm glad that you're finding the strength you need and feel the blessings from the Lord.

Jay said...

You're awesome. I mean really, really awesome. Out of this world awesome. Way awesome. Way, way awesome. You get the idea, right?! And I mean it all. Awesome.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

ditto to J you are awesome and amazing too I am so impressed w/ that HUGE garden

the MILKY way (Chrissy) said...

I have no words to describe how awesome you are.

Marie said...

I found your blog through facebook... I hope you don't mind if I read. I don't even know the specifics of what you are going through right now... but you are a strong, inspiration to all women.

Marie

Chrissy's Husband - Rob said...

I'm posting because I want to be able to say, "I posted on the blog of someone that everyone thinks is so awesome!!" Love the garden. I know Emily loves working in the garden with me so I'm sure the enthusiasm will continue.

shana said...

Wow. A garden. That is impressive. Good job being a fun mom with lots of fun traditions!!

Kathy said...

Wow that is a big garden! Good for you, what fun! Well I share the sentiments made earlier, YOU R AWESOME!