Tuesday, May 8, 2007

"Crying it out"

I changed from being loving Mami to torture guru in the eyes of Little Dan last night. He is 7 1/2 months and it was time to begin the "crying it out." He is the oldest one of my babies to have to go through this. K did it at 5 1/2 months and C...hmm not so sure, but, anyhow...with all his growth this week, it just felt like the right time to do it. DH didn't even know that I was going to...and neither did I until about 3 minutes before I did it.

I gave him his bath, nursed him while singing "Soy Un Hijo de Dios" and then gently rocked him into his crib, reassuring him that I loved him and that I'd see him in the morning. He was mad, but calmed down quickly and was completely asleep before 25 minutes had gone by. Not too bad. And...he didn't even wake up until 6 this morning-his first time sleeping through the night. I have my fingers crossed that this wasn't just a fluke...but that this will really help him to sleep better by not having to nurse to fall asleep!

Addendum:
Day #2: 18 minutes; woke up at 5:30
Day #3: 7 minutes; woke at 6:30
Day #4: LESS THAN ONE MINUTE OF CRYING!!!! :) ; woke at 3:30

4 comments:

nikko said...

Yay, yay, yay! I'm all about tough love, too.

Hopefully he'll continue to sleep through the night for you.

Suzanne said...

Oh, it's always so hard to hear them cry. Good for you! Now hopefully you can get a full night's rest! :)

Joyismygoal said...

wow one night would be cool it always took us a couple weeks

utmommy said...

Crying it out is so hard for a mom. Sounds like he didn't do too bad.