Monday, September 29, 2008

Happy Birthday...LD!


Today is LD's 2nd birthday. He is such a light in my life. He can always make me smile when I am feeling down. His presence has really enhanced my life and I am so grateful that Heavenly Father chose to send him to us when he did. I blogged about his birth story last year..what an accommodating little guy! I am just so grateful that I get to be Mami to this sweet little spirit. I cannot describe what a huge blessing he is in my life.


He has been excited about his birthday for weeks...even singing to himself, "Happy Birthday dear LD." Last night, however, he about couldn't stand it. A package came from my parents on Saturday and he just couldn't wait to open it. Here he is pushing it around and singing something about how it's his birthday.


Here he is just waking up this morning. We had to wake him up. This is the first kid's birthday on a school day that we've ever had. The big kids' birthdays are in the summer and last year, LD's was on Saturday. Our tradition is to open the present from my parents before breakfast so that whenever they call...we've already opened it. It also gives the kid something to play with all day...before DH gets home and they get to open the gifts from us.




Here he is opening and playing with the Geotracks from my parents. He loved them so much that he wouldn't put them down for family prayer (and we let him keep playing....it is his birthday, after all, right?).




Then, S, a 9-year-old that I watch before and after school came and gave him her gift. She has been excited about this gift for WEEKS. She is an only child and LD is really like her little brother. This is my third school year watching her, so she started coming to our house before LD was even born. It is cute to watch her with him on a daily basis.
I wanted to take him to do something that he loves. I thought about the zoo or the museum (museum is closed, zoo is to expensive...and I don't know if LD would like it as much without his siblings). But, he LOVES this little guy, L. Just adores him and we walk with his mom and him periodically. He loves these walks and says almost every morning, "L stroller walk?" L's mom was okay with walking, so we walked and played at the park. LD had a blast!

Finally, growing up it was a tradition to lick the cake beaters if you were the birthday kid. I haven't carried it over too much, but LD happened to be eating lunch when I made his cake...so, I let him lick one. He loved it!

Finally, after all the phone calls and waiting for DH to get home, and dinner (mac n' cheese and hot dogs...the perfect 2-year-old meal), it was time for presents and cake and ice cream. I did a school bus cake, since LD LOVES buses. It turned out pretty cute. S came back over to be with us since she loves LD so much. It is nice that she feels such a part of our family. I'd keep her, that is for sure!

17 comments:

Sox said...

Happy Birthday little guy. Tiger keeps wanting it to be his birthday so he can get cake again! I haven't ventured very far into the cool cake catagory but I am looking forward to that cake.

nikko said...

P is sitting on my lap and is so excited to see pictures of his little friend! He keeps saying LD's name over and over!

Happy birthday, big guy!

Jay said...

What a fun day! Happy B-day LD! How'd the cake turn out?

Lana said...

Happy Birthday LD!!!

Cheri said...

I'm so impressed with your cake. What a great job you did.
He is such a cutie- Happy Birthday!

marcia@joyismygoal said...

Happy birthday LD What a wonderful post. you did a great job on the cake and the whole day!! It is precious to have a little person to make life more joyful.

Jay said...

I love that cake and I know LD did too--the frosting on the fingers tells all!

Colleen said...

Happy Birthday, LD! I made a similar cake for Jackson on his birthday, but it was a firetruck. The fact that I didn't post it should tell you how it turned out. ;) Glad yours turned out better!

Lisette said...

Happy Birthday LD. We wish we could have been there to celebrate with you. I'm sorry we didn't call. It got too late. Anyways we love you lots!!

Lisette said...

Oh, btw, I love the cake!

KP said...

Happy Birthday to LD! Your cake was soooo cute! What a wonderful blessing children are!

Yvonne said...

Happy Birthday LD! He is so darn cute! I wish we could see you guys again. I love your b-day cake!

dieMutti said...

Awesome job with that fantastic cake! I am just so impressed! And we're looking forward to celebrating with two-year-old LD soon!

Alison said...

Happy happy birthday LD! I love the cake. That would of worked for Brian for the last 18 years. I may need to get some pointers.

shana said...

What a great cake. You are so talented. I might be calling you in a few months for help with a cake for Alex! :)

zeebee said...

One last comment and then I will leave you alone--what an awesome cake! Way to go, you are such a great mom, you are the one that I learn from all the time!!!!

The Tall and Short of it said...

Both you and LD are a blessing in my life!! I love you and your family!!!! There is just something about LD! What's not to love! I love the cake. It is so cute!!!! You are such a GREAT mother!