Friday, October 9, 2009

Random Firsts

This post is quite random. I have had a great couple of days with some "firsts" in my life.

I started my first attempt at sewing anything almost two years ago. Then I got called into the Relief Society Presidency and then a month after that my life turned upside down. I had barely begun this butterfly quilt when all this happened. Now, almost two years later, I pulled it out again, took it to a good friend's house that is an amazing quilter, and then came home home and finished piecing the wings. I can't wait to keep going on it! Here are the wings:

Another first: I bought myself an early Christmas present: a Kitchenaid mixer. I have always wanted one and lately I have felt that I need to be frequently making bread for my family. A good deal came up and so I went for it. Here it is in all its beautifulness. It just doesn't fit on my counter under the cabinets...it is too tall! I haven't used it yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Finally, we have lived in our home for 6.5 years and NEVER burned a fire in our fireplace. Mostly it was so new and white and perfect and we didn't want to soot it up. Well, it looks like I will be here for a while. And, since I have the kids this weekend, the plan was to go camping. But, the rains fell and the temperature soon followed. So, I took the plunge and we had a fire tonight.Look carefully....you can see the marshmallow sticks!
Life is good. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I am one of the lucky ones! :)

9 comments:

Holly said...

The day you start using your mixer your life will change forever. I know mine did =o)

Jay said...

Your quilt is beautiful!! Yay for the good things of life.

nikko said...

What a fun first quilting project. You are so brave to do all those curved seams!

We've had a few fires in our fireplace, but ours is pretty impractical for actually heating the home. So, we don't bother much.

Yay for your mixer! It is so pretty!

Kathy said...

I am so proud of you for doing more once you got home. Looks great!

jenniwhit said...

what a beautiful quilt, i wish my first sewing attempt looked half that good!! I love your family photo.

Lisette said...

Like I always say... You are such a good mom. And it looks like you are getting better by the minute!

The Texas Bakers said...

You will love your KitchenAid. One of my best purchases ever!
Love the butterfly. I have done a few quilting type projects here and there, but never actually have taken one to completion.

shana said...

I LOVE the quilt. You are amazing. My Kitchenaid is one of my favorite things. I LOVE how easy it makes everything. ENJOY!!

Jess said...

(pushing down the jealousy) Nice mixer! I've always wanted one of those. And you can quilt now, too? Are you making a list of all the things I'd like to try and checking them off, or what? :)

I also love the design and colors of your blog!

Jess