Monday, October 5, 2009

Words of the Prophets

Those of you who have followed my blog for any amount of time know just how much I love General Conference. I love hearing the words of a prophet...living...right NOW on the earth today. As long as I can remember I have looked forward with eager anticipation to General Conference. It is not a holiday for me, it is a feast...a spiritual feast. It is a time for me to worship my Lord and Savior and learn how I and my family can be better over the next six months. It is truly a time I treasure. With each conference, I come away uplifted, more sure of who I am, and eager to be a better person. This one was no exception.

A cool experience with this one was that I came to conference praying for specific guidance and help on 3-4 topics. EVERY question I had, every desire of my heart to find an answer...all answered in the first session. How wonderful to know I have a Father in the Heavens that knows me and loves me and is willing to help and guide me.
Here are just a few of the things that really touched me:
  • Elder Richard G. Scott: Spirituality yields two fruits: Inspiration to know what to do and the Power to do it! And The Lord will not force you to learn. You have to exercise agency to authorize the spirit to teach you.
  • Elder David A. Bednar: Be "more diligent and concerned at home." These are the three ways he suggested: 1)Express love and show it, 2) Bear testimony and live it, and 3) Be consistent! Consistency in small things leads to a great work.
  • President Dieter F. Uchtdorf: Love is the defining characteristic of a disciple of Jesus Christ. God does not need us to love Him, but oh how wee need to love God.
  • Tad R. Callister: Sometimes we trade spiritual birthright for a mess of pottage.
  • Elder Neil L. Anderson: Repentance always means that there is greater happiness ahead.
  • President Henry B. Eyring: Any believing Latter-Day Saint is an optimist....no matter what the circumstances are now. And, You have had evidences that you are moving along the road to become like Jesus.
  • Sister Ann M. Dibb: "They had the equipment. They just chose not to wear it."
  • President Thomas S. Monson: Lose ourselves in service to others or there is little purpose to our lives. And, Don't immerse self in the thick of thin things.
  • Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: Book of Mormon is safety for the soul.
  • Elder Quentin L. Cook: In all stewardship efforts, follow Jesus Christ. Review as a family the stewardships for which we are accountable to God.
  • Elder D. Todd Christofferson: Our aim is to have children truly converted to Christ while they are with us. Strength will come from WHO they are (disciples of Christ) not what the KNOW.

What an outpouring of the Spirit. How blessed we are!

9 comments:

marcia@joyismygoal said...

Awesome -I felt soo inspired and comforted

Lana said...

I love your new family photo!

I loved it too.

Elder Holland was my favorite, with his powerful testimony of the Book of Mormon. I also loved the priesthood talks and the great hope it gave me for the future our little generation of upcoming Helaman's warriors. And.... s million more. It was wonderful.

Lana said...

it's on line, you can watch it there:)

Jay said...

So good! I liked reading the points you caught from each speaking. I reminded me of the good feelings I had as I watched and listened.

The 7B's said...

I love your new family picture!!

shana said...

I love conference too. It's always fun to see what others picked up from it. Amazing how it helps us all individually!

Jenny said...

This is a great post. Nice reminders of what we heard.

Andrea said...

I had someone tell me how it's the mormon holiday. sad. I love conference. I too got tons of answers in that first session. Love that.
Fun to read your recap.
And I agree you fam photo is so cute!

Suzanne said...

You always give such great Conference recaps! Wasn't Elder Holland's testimony so powerful? This conference seemed different to me. The talks were more straightforward and it really encouraged me to live my life better!