Monday, July 14, 2014

Fourth of July (7-4-14)

Independence Day is my favorite holiday.  It has been for years.  I love the gatherings.  I love the fireworks.  I love the celebrations without having to worry about gifts and other things.  I love my country.  I am appreciative of those that have sacrificed for my precious freedoms. 

I cannot celebrate the same way as I have in the past with two babies.  It just doesn't work that way.  But, I can still have fun. 

We began the day with flag pancakes. 
Then, we put up our flag and spent a few moments pledging allegiance and honoring our flag and our country.

All the kids wanted flag shirts to help celebrate the day:


Baby C didn't get one.  V only did on accident, but it is so super cute!

V smiles so oddly lately.  She really just makes faces at the camera.  I don't know when she will outgrow this, but for now, we get silly odd faces in most of our pictures!

We had some dear friends come over for a BBQ and hanging out.  Their four kids are very close in age to our older four.  And, even better, they all get along and like each other a lot!  We had yummy food and great company.  The kids played and played and played.

Then, our friends left for a few hours (and you would have thought it was the end of our kids' lives.

A few hours later, however, they came and picked up the older three to take them to fireworks.  This is their first 4th in Texas, so we told them of our favorite spot and they took all the kids there.  They were so kind to take them for us.  The rest of the pictures, my friend, G, took while they were all gone together.

They rode the free buses over to the park:

The kids all played games together as they waited for the fireworks.

We always bring a lot of glow sticks.  This year was no exception.  The kids brought a ton - plenty to share!
It sounds like all had a blast.  With two babies, we needed to stay home.  We really could not have taken them both and enjoyed it at all.  Maybe next year.  But, for this year, I am grateful beyond words for the K family and their willingness to take our kids.  They had a great time.  And, we didn't have to have the older kids lose out because the younger kids needed to be home.  Actually, I already have plans for next year.  K family over here, fireworks at the park, swimming/local fireworks the night before.  Bring it on!  I am ready!

Happy Birthday, America (and my brother, A, whose birthday is on the 4th!)

No comments: